The morning is the most important part of a day, it sets the tone for what will follow. However, many of us do not consider our morning routine and tend to charge through without being conscious of setting up the day ahead. It is easy to snag the last moments of sleep and then find that we have to rush to get out of the door. Ryan Bate, our wellness blogger and owner of South County Adventure Boot Camp, has the one tip that can literally change your day…ultimately changing your life!
The first and most effective way to start your day is with exercise. Research shows that individual who begin the day with physical activity will experience the following benefits:
- Enhance Your Metabolism- Your body will burn more calories after your workout is completed. That means that as you are commuting to work and while you are sitting at your desk, you will still be burning calories.
- Increase Your Productivity- According to https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/exercise-increases-productivity/:
A habit of regular exercise will help keep you mentally sharper throughout your entire life. As you age, your body generates fewer and fewer brain cells (a process called neurogenesis). However, early research in mice suggests that exercise can help prevent this slowdown. In other words, by the time they reach their 50s, 60s, and 70s, people who exercise might have more brain cells than their more sedentary peers — giving them a major advantage in the workplace.
Over a shorter time-frame, an exercise routine can give you more energy throughout the day. Most of your cells contain components called mitochondria, often referred to as the cell’s “power plant.” Mitochondria produce the chemical that your body uses as energy, known as ATP. Physical exercise stimulates the development of new mitochondria within your cells, meaning that your body will be able to produce more ATP over time. That gives you more energy to exert yourself physically, but it also means more energy for your brain, boosting your mental output.
- Create Healthy Habits- Waking up in the morning and starting your day on a healthy foot will ultimately lead to healthy decisions throughout your day. You are far more likely to choose foods and drinks that will not undo the hard work of your new morning routine.
- Increase in Energy- In addition to being more alert and having greater productivity, you will also experience an increase in energy. Who isn’t looking for more of that these days?! Many people fear that if they get up to exercise, they will be tired throughout the day. This could not be more wrong. When you exercise, you actually increase circulation as well as strengthen the heart muscle…leading to more energy. So if you are looking to ward off fatigue…set your alarm and get moving!
- Develop Better Routines- Establishing a healthy morning routine will pave the way to better overall routines. You will find that you are going to bed earlier, making time for healthier habits and creating healthier routines.
- Better Sleep- This is a huge change that will carry over into your work, family and life. Sleeping is often a struggle for many and regular exercise has proven to improve the quality of sleep. You will go to bed ready for sleep and awake more rested.
- Attain Your Fitness Goals- A natural and welcomed result of your new morning workout routine is paving the way towards your fitness goals. A regular scheduled routine will increase your likelihood of meeting and exceeding those goals that may have alluded you thus far. Leaving your workout to the end of the day opens up many opportunities for making excuses, we all know what they are. Getting up in the morning and following through with the goals you have set can and will literally change your life!
- Change Your Life- All of these benefits will lead to a transformation in your life. You will be happier with yourself, your work, ,your home and beyond. Taking the time for yourself is one of the most important pieces of self care, don’t leave that until the end of your day!
If you are interested in starting your fitness journey, check out South County Adventure Boot Camp for Women! One hour classes are offered in the mornings at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30…all you need is a positive attitude and the willingness to work your hardest. You can learn more here!